Pages

Friday, August 4, 2017

Rusty stuff



I am in the process of the daunting task of cleaning all of the old crap from my basement and look what I found! I started to carry it to the take to the dump pile but could hear my dear online friend Glen all the way from Baton Rouge saying - no! Look at all that beautiful rust! I've never "rusted" fabric but remember some of the wonderful fabric she has created from things like this.

I have no idea how to do it but am sure I can find directions online so stay tuned.






I'm not able to get any extra time off this summer so am enjoying the time I have. This is how I de stress and stay happy. Getting out and enjoying the peace and quiet of nature.
Sewing wise I am making a bunch of the tablet/ phone pillows to sell at the fair. They require a fair amount of hand sewing and stuffing which is perfect for porch sitting, another favorite summmer pastime. I've put a tutorial on how to make them on a page here on the blog. Be sure to stuff as much in there as you can. It's key to holding the tablet well. 

5 comments:

  1. Vinegar! Soak your cloth in vinegar, wrap it up around some of that AMAZING rusty stuff. I sometimes wrap it in Saran Wrap, or not. I also use rope twine or even rubber bands to tighten it around all the edges. You can continue to wet it with The vinegar, I think you can dilute your vinegar with 50/50 water even, but I use it straight. Make several bundles and take it out at various times to seemhow rusted it gets after so long.

    Then you have to "stop" the rusting process with a salt solution. A lot of salt in water, rinse like you would a dyed piece. Try dying lace doilies, lace strips, twine, PFD fabric, anything, really. Get as creative as you can stretch to!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darn this iPad, I wanted to make it o back to the first line and say......You know I love me some RUSTY THINGS!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a LOT of crafty friends that LOVE rusting fabric. I love the look and have been gifted some, but so far I have not caught the bug. You have a lot of base to work with so I'm pretty darned sure that you are going to create some gorgeous designs.
    xxx, Carol

    ReplyDelete